Sunday 18 November 2012

End-of-Bed Bench DIY Tutorial

We've finally finished the bench! I said "we" because my lovely husband did most of the frame building and I did the rest. 

 I got the inspiration from Dear Lillie but I didn't want to make it tufted.
So, this is how we did ours.
We wanted it to go under the scroll at the end of the bed.




Materials we used:

18mm thick MDF board cut to size 450mm x 1100mm (you can customize the size)
2x 1100mm length of wood
4x 374mm for the sides and for the mid section

2 pieces of square shaped hickory contemporary spindle cut to size 250mm and painted black (because I couldn't find a pre-turned chiar leg that wasn't so expensive)
Spray paint in black
Spray sealant in clear
3 inch foam block
Wadding 2.5 meters
2 meters Chenille fabric  that matches our blinds
Recycled old curtain to be used as a lining
Staple gun and screws

This is how the frame looks like after it's been put together:



the size of the wood I used had 63x38x2400mm as it's dimensions but you could use any size that's available to you if you feel it's going to be sturdy enough. I would have used a 1"x3" but it was so dear

MDF board screwed to the frame

Foam block cut to size. I used my regular kitchen knife for cutting. Make sure it's ultra sharp :)

I covered the foam block and frame with wadding. I then put the rest on top as 3 layers.


I used an old curtain to cover the frame with the wadding. You can use any fabric on hand but just make sure it's not too flimsy or thin as your going to have to pull it tight. I used staple guns to secure it to the bottom.

The hickory spindle cut to size and spray painted black with sealer. The paint I used was quick drying so I was able to put 2 coats of spray and a sealant while my beloved Brynn was building my frame. I then left it overnight to dry.


Brynn suggested to put a leg bracket on for support and this is how he did it. Metal brackets can be bought if you like but I like thrifting and using the materials we already have on hand. There was some leftover wood from making the frame so Brynn used those. And this is how it's supposed to look like:


Brynn made holes on the wooden brackets so it'll be much easier to put the screws in.


After attaching the legs, I covered it with the chenille fabric that matches our blinds. Make sure you have enough fabric to go the sides and under. More is better than not enough. 

I wasn't going to cover the underneath but Brynn says it'll look more finished if I did even if no one's going to check. So I did! This is what it looks like covered:


And this is what it looks like at the end of our bed!


I love how it looks like it belongs. This has been a joint effort and I must say, it's a first for us to build anything from scratch and we are so pleased with the result! I was going to put some black studs all around the sides but my partner in crime wasn't so keen so I left it.
I hope you like it! 
I love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment